Podcast: City Year Connects with Students to Transform Schools
Skip to Content
United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County

Podcast: City Year Connects with Students to Transform Schools

Main Content

January 8, 2017

Produced by Katie Kuhn and Rebecca Schimke, United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County

Listen Now (00:16:29)



Only 61% of students in Milwaukee Public Schools graduate in four years. The remaining 39% may take longer than four years to graduate, or drop out of school completely. Students who drop out of school are eight times more likely to become incarcerated and three times more likely to be unemployed. Students who drop out earn roughly $1 million less over their lifetime than high school graduates. 

However, research shows that students who reach 10th grade on track and on time are four times more likely to graduate. That’s where City Year comes in. City Year Milwaukee partners with school districts to place their corps members in the schools to provide students with both small group and one-on-one support to overcome challenges they face both in and out of school. In addition to working with individual students who are at-risk of dropping out, City Year corps members provide support to help transform the whole school, including leading school-wide events and activities, after school programming, and in class support for teachers. 

Today we sit down with Sarah Heffley and Matt Holubecki, members of the United Way City Year Milwaukee Team at James Madison Academic Campus (JMAC), which is also part of the Milwaukee Community School Partnership. Sarah and Matt share success stories they have witnessed in their time at JMAC, what their days are like, and how they apply their own educational experience to their work with City Year. 

Learn more about the work of City Year Milwaukee

Have something to say? LEAVE A COMMENT:

The following required items were not provided or are in the wrong format. Please provide the required responses and submit again:

Your email address will not be published. All fields Required.

  Please enter your name
  Please enter a valid email
  Please enter a comment

United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukehsa County blog and social media presence is designed as a source for information, sharing and collaboration about United Way and health and human service related topics. As part of our commitment to our readers, we expect all posters to abide by the following rules:
 • Posts and comments should be on topic, conversational, and serve to educate or entertain  
 • Posts and comments may not be unlawful, fraudulent, threatening, libelous, defamatory, discriminatory, harassing, obscene or otherwise rude or in poor taste  
 • Posts and comments may not be used for any commercial purpose or otherwise to promote any outside organization or its activities
United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County reserves the right, at our discretion, to remove any post or to revoke a user’s privilege to post to our page. Comments found to be in conflict with the guidelines above will be removed promptly.
Comments are not necessarily those of United Way of Greater Milwaukee & Waukesha County and its employees and we do not guarantee the accuracy of these posts.